Annual Zombie Run
to Prevent Child Abuse in HHW Counties
Parent Connection and the Prevent Child Abuse Council will be holding the 4th Annual Zombie Fun Run on October 28, 2017. 100% of the funds raised will go to prevent child abuse in Hamilton, Humboldt and Wright Counties. This year there will be TWO EVENT TIMES. Individuals may choose one or BOTH. The 5K Run/Walk will take place at 4:30pm and the Twilight Run will take place at 5:30pm. Both will be held at the Eagle Grove Golf Course. Registration will start after 4pm.
There will be multiple Infected Zones to run/walk through. Each participant will be given a flag football belt with "lives" on it that zombies will try to remove throughout the course. Participants will receive a medal at the end of the course.
Question? Want more Information? Click the link below:
Register to Run,Walk, or Crawl to Prevent Child Abuse in HHW Counties!
Online Registration-Click on the image above.
Paper Registration-Individual Participation Form and Waiver are available by clicking HERE.
Registration is $25 until October 1st, and $30 after. To guarantee a T-shirt, orders must be received prior to October 18th! Below is a tentative proof of the T-shirt. Zombies, Volunteers, and other individuals may wish to purchase a T-shirt ONLY for $15 (note: plus sizes cost extra--see form for list of prices).
Sponsoring the event is easy to do. Various sponsorship level benefits are available:
***Sponsorship information needs to be received prior to October 18th to meet advertising deadlines.
Sponsorship/Infected Zone Form
Online Donations and Sponsorship Link
All parking will be FREE & located at the club house parking lot!!!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is a Zombie Run?
- A fun run obstacle course with Zombies throughout. Each runner is given a flag football type belt with 3 "lives" on it. The runner will try to reach the end of the race with at least 1 "life" left. Zombies try to take the lives throughout the course. Individuals may register to be a zombie online or by submitting the completed form to Building Families.
How do I register for the race?
- Runners can register via paper forms or online. Registration can be found at www.zombierunHHW.com, by downloading the PDF off of the Building Families website: www.buildingfamlies.net, or Facebook page or Events Page: @BuildingFamilies or @ParentConnection, or by contacting Building Families/Parent Connection directly and requesting a registration form: Building Families – 120 1st Ave NW, Suite 14 – Clarion, IA 50525, 515.602.6371, email@example.com. Paper registration forms for Runners, walkers, zombies, and other volunteers can be found HERE. Individuals may also register online HERE. Paper forms will also be available at various locations throughout Hamilton, Humboldt, and Wright Counties up until the day of the event. You can request registration forms by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, or firstname.lastname@example.org. The cost is $25 until October 1st, and $30 after. Please note that to guarantee a t-shirt individuals MUST register prior to October 18th.
Can I register as both a Zombie and a Racer?
- Zombies may choose to run the race before or after their shift. This year there are TWO race times (5K Run/Walk at 4:30 pm AND Twilight Run at 5:30pm). ALL ZOMBIES AND VOLUNTEERS MUST complete an individual registration form or do so online. Zombies are asked to arrive no later than 3:45pm on the day of the event.
How do I stay informed about the race?
- Individuals may follow the Building Families Facebook Page, Parent Connection HHW Facebook Page, Annual Zombie Run: To Prevent Child Abuse in HHW Counties Event on Facebook, Building Families website, or the Zombie Run website at zombierunHHW.com. Parent Connection HHW can also be found on Twitter and Instagram. Posting pictures of the event? Make sure to use the event hashtag (#zombierunHHW).
How old do I have to be to participate?
- Children may participate at any age as long as a parent is present. Children can register for the race with parent’s signed registration form. Parents should be aware that the event may be frightening for some children. There will be “bells” available that children may bring along to assist the Zombies in knowing that there are younger racers. To be a Zombie, volunteers are encouraged to be 12 years or older and MUST have parent or caregiver present.
What are the registration deadlines?
- Registration may be completed up to the day/hour of the event. However, to guarantee a t-shirt and medal, registrations MUST be completed by October 18, 2017. Registration is $25 before October 1st and $30 after. Individuals may purchase a T-Shirt only for $15 (note: plus sizes are marked $2 or $3 more), this includes all zombies and volunteers for the day.
Where/When do I pick up my Race Packet?
- This event will NOT have race packets. Please check in at the registration table (located in the Club House) on the day of the event for your t-shirt and lives (belt). Zombies are asked to register NO LATER THAN 3:45pm on the day of the event.
Is there an inclement weather policY?
- The race will be run in rain or snow, but if the course is unsafe due to lightning or ice we reserve the right to delay or postpone the event. Refunds will not be given. Please dress for the weather.
What are the funds used for?
- Parent Connection and the Prevent Child Abuse Council are funded through Building Families, a local non-profit. 100% of all funds raised in this fundraiser will be used LOCALLY to prevent child abuse in Hamilton, Humboldt and Wright Counties. Programs that work with families in their homes on a short term basis, as well as group-based parenting services will be supported with these funds. To learn more about Parent Connection and the Prevent Child Abuse Council for HHW Counties, click HERE.
How early should I arrive?
- Please plan on arriving at least 30 minutes before you run. Zombies will be required to arrive NO LATER than 3:45pm on the day of the event to complete Zombie School and be assigned to an area. The 5K Run/Walk is scheduled for 4:30pm and the Twilight Run is scheduled for 5:30pm.
Where can I park?
- Parking is FREE! It will be located up near the club house in the parking lot, as well as along the West side of the driveway at the golf course.
What is our refund policy?
- We have a strict no-refund policy. This is a fundraiser.
Is there a waiver?
Will I get messy?
- Yes, this is an obstacle course and you may come across “blood, guts, and other gross stuff!" There is limited access to areas to clean up after the run/walk. Prepare to get dirty! Feel free to bring your own baby wipes or towel. There will NOT be storage areas available at the event.
What about people who cheat?
- If you really want to cheat there is nothing that we can do. The race will not be timed. We encourage you to finish with honor! There will be a Zombie Training available again this year to help with the safety of all participants.
How does the flag thing work?
- The race is like a flag football race. The zombies will be trying to get your flags so that you will be “dead” and they can “eat your brains”. The object is to finish the race with a flag. For those that finish with a flag, they will receive a medal. If you finish without a flag, there will be an opportunity to purchase a medal for $5.
Do zombies and racers have physical contact?
- No No No No No!!!!! Deliberate contact is PROHIBITED. Zombies should not push, punch, grab, tackle, hip check or otherwise physically impede racers. Racers will NOT be allowed to push, punch, run over, grab, tackle, kick or otherwise physically harm the zombies. They are already “dead” so be kind! You can protect your flags by dodging, spinning, sliding, running and jumping. If there are any problems with a zombie, they will have a number and can be reported at the Safety Zones or registration table so they can be taken care of.
Will there be photos posted on Social Media?
- Yes, there will be individuals taking photos throughout the course. The photos will be available on the Building Families and Parent Connection Facebook pages after the race. There will also be a photo booth available in the club house to take a photo of you in your best costume/makeup and at various times throughout the day, Feel free to share any photos on social media with our event hashtag (#zombierunHHW).
What if I want to be a Zombie?
- Zombies are responsible for making sure everyone has a fantastic time! Zombies should strike terror in our runners and remember this is also a “fun run”. Zombies are responsible for their own costumes. We encourage you to get as “gross” as you can! Zombies can volunteer by emailing email@example.com or or by submitting the completed form to Building Families or registering online. Zombies can run as well, but will need to register and pay to be a runner/walker on the same form or online registration. We ask that those interested in being zombies arrive at the club house NO LATER THAN 3:45pm on the day of the event for a brief training. Zombies should be 12 years or older, or accompanied by a responsible adult.
Do I need to run to be a Zombie?
- No. You will be stationed along with other zombies throughout the course to reach for (and sometimes obtain) one flag attached with Velcro to the runners belts. You need not be a runner to be a zombie. You may also bring a lawn chair to sit in if you wish.
What about teams?
- Teams are Strongly Encouraged! The teams can run together and be human shields for each other. Feel free to feed the slowest member of your team to the zombies to save yourself! Please note that you will register individually for the event. You may register online or return this completed registration form to Building Families.
Can I wear a costume?
- YES!!! Costumes are encouraged by the runners. There may be prizes awarded for creativity! Please refrain from wearing costumes that have swords or other props that could be used as weapons.
What should zombies wear?
- The apocalypse can happen at any time. We never know when a Zombie virus could affect us. Zombies will want to remember that they will be outside at the end of October in Iowa. The weather could be cold or warm, wet or windy. Zombies will need to come already in full Zombie uniform. Ideas that have been used in other zombie runs are to take a cheese grater, sandpaper, scissors to distress your clothes and shoes. Zombies have been stumbling around for months looking for brains. Your clothes should be bloody and/or dirty. There will be limited places to wash yourself after. We encourage you to view previous runs on our Facebook page or check out Pinterest for additional ideas.
What kind of zombies are there?
- There are going to be zombies that have eaten fresh “brains” and may be fast, there will be zombies that will be slower, and some are hiding.